f you are a senior, or you have a senior in your house this year there is probably a long list of task that you have never done before, and are racing to checkoff before the big day! Senior photos are a classic rite of passage, and I urge you not to skip out on this tradition! Having images you love to put on your gradation announcements or use for your school photos is a small par pf why these photos are so important. It's a unique opportunity to do anything YOU want with your session, the whole point is to be yourself, and have fun. Senior photos have been taken at Whataburger, car washes, laundry mats, etc. The point is, even if you're not super in to any particular sports or hobbies at a school, there are still a million ways your senior photos can be personalized, and fun for you.
Not sure where to start? If you're in the San Antonio area, here are a couple fun ideas:
- The gorgeous river at Guadalupe state park
- Karaoke bar
- Skate rink- could be themed form the year you were born + your graduation year
- Bowling alley- this one is especially photogenic and fun
- The botanical gardens has tons of variety that can fit your aesthetic, all gorgeous!
- Our famous missions are a unique and beautiful location for your photos
- San Antonio offers a variety of interactive art museums specifically for taking photos, such as The Flower Vault, The Wonder Chamber, and Hopscotch
- Hays Bridge offers a great city view
- Downtown around the riverwalk
- Country views at Cibolo nature center
- Modern Essex City is colorful, vibrant, showcases some amazing art, and is a memorable place for your senior photos
These are just a few ideas, my goal is to get to know you personally, and tailor something one of a kind and unique to you!
Now, I'd love to make this busy season as easy for you as possible, so here are a few notes and tips about your senior photos.
- The guys may complain about photos and acts as though they don't want to do it, but 99.9% of the time they are happy that they were made to have photos done anyway. I can understand and relate to why they may feel dread over being in front of the camera, but I promise I can help them feel comfortable and even make their session fun. A big part of this is planning a theme or location that they can get on board with. Leave it to me, I'm pretty good at my job!
- Parents, this is a monumental moment for you too. Plan on being in a few of the photos with your senior. It doesn’t have to be the photo you send out, just for your sake and theirs, get in the photo!
- Don't wait until your cap and gown come in to get your senior photos session on the calendar! By then, the opportunity to get your ideal date and location may be passed.
- The focus is on the senior, and their journey. Less about the school. In fact, some seniors don't plan on wearing their cap and gown to their session but instead plan on having a casual look and a more dressed up, fun or formal look. If you want to get a lot of variety out of just a few outfits, bring accessories like jewelry and hat changes to mix it up.
- High school besties or boyfriends/girlfriends don't always last forever, but they are nonetheless a significant part of this chapter in your life. It's an added bonus if a bestie can make it into a few photos at your session, just don't make it the focus!
- I'm not heavy on the "props" with my style of photography, but there are special "trinkets" i suggest bringing to your senior session. You can print out some of the papers yo worked the hardest on writing and enjoying tossing them into the wind (I'll clean up afterwards)
- You can bring a small pile of some of your favorite reads
- Bring a photo of you on your first day of school, even if that was daycare.
- If you plan an instrument or a sport, we want to incorporate it!
- You can bring a board to write on what you wanted to be when you grow up, and now what you're planning on doing after gradation!
I've got ton's more tips, but we can go over them in your consult! Just reach out with any questions or needs you have. Wether it's me or another photographer, I hope your session is fun, feels and looks like you, and ends your school career on a high note. Congratulations grads, you did it!
Click here to send me any questions or request, schedule a phone consult, or ask to see my 2022 pricing guide for seniors! I can't wait to connect with you.